Fruits of the Spirit: LESSON 3 PART 3 – Peace (Psalm 46:10)
LESSON: PEACE – How to have peace in our hearts.
”Be still, and know that I am God.” – Psalm 46:10
- Psalm 46 talks about how God is our refuge (place of protection) and our strength, and how God is always there to help uswhen trouble comes our way. It tells us not to be afraid even when things like earthquakes, floods and even wars happen around us because our God is an Almighty God and He will take care of those who call on His name.
- Tell the story from the bible (Mark 4:35-41) about how Jesus calmed the storm.
Summary: Jesus and his disciples were on a boat. When Jesus was taking a nap, a fierce storm came down on the boat. The disciples woke up Jesus because they were scared that they were going to drown. Jesus got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Peace! Be still!” Then the storm simply stopped. The disciples were amazed that Jesus could calm a storm.
Question: What does this story tell us about Jesus?
- Jesus is powerful and even the wind and the waves obey Him.
- Jesus is able to protect us from the storm.
- Ask: Do you know of any other bible story when God also controlled the wind and the waves? (Lead the children to the story about Moses and the parting of the Red Sea from Exodus 14).
Summary: The Israelites had just left Egypt and were now free, but then Pharaoh changed his mind and had his army follow them. They were trapped because the Red Sea was in front of them while Pharaoh’s army was behind them. Moses told them in verse 13-14, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” And Moses did what the Lord said and stretched out his hand over the sea, and the Lord caused the wind to divide the waters and give them dry land to walk on.
Question: What does this story have in common with the first one?
- God showed Moses and the Israelites that He can control the wind and the waves of the Red Sea, just like Jesus was able to control the storm.
- What do these 2 stories show us?
- God and Jesus are one. Jesus says, “I and the Father are one.” – John 10:30
- IN ORDER TO HAVE PEACE, we need only to BE STILL. This means to STOP WORRYING and LET GOD BE GOD. True peace comes from knowing this truth (Psalm 46:10) in our hearts so we do not have to worry when problems and trouble comes. Instead, we can trust God, pray to Him and thank Him knowing that our God is an all-powerful God who loves us and will take care of us. When we call on Jesus, He will surround us with His peace in our hearts for He is the Prince of Peace.