Fruits of the Spirit: LESSON 1 PART 2 – Love (Matthew 22:37-39)
“Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”– Matthew 22:37-39
- God gave Moses two tablets containing the Ten Commandments in Mt. Sinai.
- The Israelites have tried to keep theses commandments from that time until the time of Jesus. But no one could really obey these commandments completely.
- Jesus summarized the commandments into only two: LOVE GOD and LOVE OTHERS.
- When we LOVE GOD, then we:
1 Commandment: Put God first
2 Commandment: Have no idols
3rd Commandment: Will not misuse God’s name
4 Commandment: Keep the Sabbath holy through worship and rest
5. When we LOVE OTHERS, then we:
5 Commandment: Honor our father and mother
6 Commandment: Don’t kill or hurt others
7 Commandment: Don’t commit adultery
8 Commandment: Don’t steal
9 Commandment: Don’t lie (bear false witness)
10 Commandment: Don’t covet (envy)
6. Jesus made it clear that what God wants from us is not to simply obey out of obligation or fear, but we do what God wants because we first have LOVE in our hearts.
7. When our hearts are guided by the LOVE of GOD, then good things follow. We don’t even have to think very hard about obeying the Ten Commandments. When we LOVE GOD, we instinctively do what is right and seek to do things that please God. When we LOVE OTHERS, we also seek to do good to others and not cause them any harm.
8. Pray for each other for God to send the Holy Spirit to each of us so that we may always be guided by God’s love in all we say, think or do.